Thursday, August 26, 2010

Breaking the "fashion funk"

I know it's been a while since my last post. I have to admit I've been in a bit of a fashion funk lately (yup it even happens to "The Style Chick"). I think it's time to re-vamp my wardrobe again and just get more versatile pieces in my closet. But today is a little different. I woke up determined to get out of my funk.

Here's are some tips to help you get out of your funk.... I figure if it works for me it should work for you!


Gauranteed to cheer you up or your money back! LOL.

1. Wake up early enough to put a little extra effort into your look.

2. Don't forget a hint of perfume or scented lotion to inspire you and make you smell just as beautiful as you're gonna look.

3. Pick out a pretty dress (I am suggesting a dress over separates because it's easy to throw on and still look pulled together. Plus who doesn't feel pretty in a dress? LOL).

4. Put on some heels. Yes, I know we all love to be comfortable. I live in the concrete jungle and no one ever tells you how hard that is on your feet! Never the less, it is possible to find comfortable heels, wedges or something to give you some height and make you feel sexy.

5. Pump up your look with some accessories. It doesn't have to matchy matchy but it should "go" with your outfit and create some visual interest. Don't be afraid to play with textures and patterns. Sometimes a textured belt on a simple dress can add a luxurious look. But, be sure to keep in mind what Coco Channel said... "before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off". That's the best way to avoid looking too gaudy and over done.

6. Make sure your hair and nails look their best (within reason of course.. no need to go out and get your hair done or nail extensions) just be you! If your hair is pretty and straight then embrace it. If your curls are big and full then don't fight it! Being yourself is often the best look for you. Just make sure its pulled together and walk out with confidence!

7. Last but not least SMILE! After all you LOOK GREAT so you should feel GREAT and when you walk around wearing a smile people then smile back at you. Nothing can get you down now.

Feeling happy and carefree in my little white dress and new shoes from ALDO:


Dress: NY&CO

Sweater: NY&CO
Belt: NY&CO
Shoes: ALDO






My friend Danielle's style is also a source of inspiration to me and I just love her look today. Another great example of breaking the monotony!



Shirt: Forever 21
Skirt: H&M
Shoes: Steve Madden




Now that's how you do flats ladies!


As you can see no need to spend big bucks to look your best!

2 comments:

  1. Nikki you look fabulous! I am working on re-doing my style and you are my inspiration! =D Your friend Danielle looks great too, I love the pop of color and the cut of her skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara! Well let me know if you ever have any questions or need help styling a shoot. I'd love to help!
    Danielle is awesome I could write a blog just about her wardrobe! LOL

    ReplyDelete